Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Txt Much?

Recently I was thinking about how it's been forever since I actually looked at my cell phone bill. A couple of years ago after I added my daughter to my plan my phone bill stopped coming in a regular envelope and started coming in a large 8 1/2 x 11 envelope. Why? Because they list every single sent and received text message on your bill, and when you are in middle school and have a phone you text. A lot. After about my 2nd 70 page phone bill I decide to opt for the paperless billing option after all I don't need all of those dead trees on my conscience. So imagine my surprise when I actually looked at the detailed bill for last month and she had 10,439 text messages!! That number is only slightly surprising I guess. She sleeps with her phone on her pillow. She texts from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed. Even more impressive she can text at lightning speed, without looking, and while having a phone conversation with a friend. She also uses her text lingo in regular conversation such as "OMG mom I told you IDK". I actually text quite a bit myself and find it a great way to communicate with people. I even got a text message wedding invite last year. I have to say I do worry about the affects of text messaging on her grammar and spelling. The concern about the affects on society in general has even prompted several save the vowels campaigns online. Ops I gtg got a txt.

No comments: